Monday, May 28, 2007

talking in circles

I had a lovely lunch with lovely Sue today. Cheap sushi and good conversation. We were talking about some big things, and the good thing about Sue is that she understands the complexities of the questions I relate to her. We are both lapsed engineers*, which seems to imply that we enjoy things that are not logical, but also get frustrated by those same things because they are not logical.

For example:
Question: What is good art?
Answer: Good art is redemptive and honest.

Question: How does one make good art?
Answer: Be honest.
But I can be as honest as I want - that still may not result in a good song, for instance.
And even I work hard and put my heart into it, it may not yield anything.

It seems to me that all the questions worth asking are hard to answer, which makes sense I guess - questions go away with answers. I just find myself talking in circles, missing the point a lot, especially here, in this blog. I mean, I know it's entertaining to watch that hamster in the wheel, but for how long?

But what if you relate to that hamster? Then, it's more than entertainment, it's searching. Maybe I'll write a song about it.

This entry didn't really have a point, but I will leave it that way, because it seems appropriate.



*Sue's term.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's important to examine your interpretation of "good" art. I'm not sure I really know what "good" art is any more ... sucessful? well-respected? critically appreciated?

I saw some really "bad" plays in the foot festival this year but they were by far the most honest peices of theatre I'd seen in years - and I thought they were enchanting! Not sure what everyone else thought, though.

sequesthered said...

But now we're going in circles again. Because if you liked it, it wasn't really "bad", right?