Sunday, January 21, 2007

whoever said it was a small world?

People! I have spent the last three hours simply Googling my teachers at Sheridan. I never realized how ignorant I was of everything! There is SO much music out there! And just by searching out four of my teachers, I'm beginning to see that music is a ridiculously large and diverse place.

Okay, look. This is the guy that teaches me Ear Training (and I mean, do-re-mi-so-la Ear Training. That's right. We're still on the pentatonic scale.). And, I should warn you. It's experimental jazz. Really weird, really cool. I mean, the computer is his instrument.

This guy accompanied me on You Oughta Know.

And, last, but not least, the man I refer to as Cool Peter, who helped me rock This Love (Maroon 5).

These guys are ridiculously awesome. They seem to work a lot, yet they're all taking jobs like playing for ignorant college kids like me in their karoake class (i.e. pop performance class). And not only that, they are all just a few of so many artists out there. Follow the cybertrail, and you'll find MySpace after MySpace of talented, talented people, all around Toronto.

I don't know. Is this a problem? I don't go out very often to see live music because I don't have the time or necessarily the money, but we're living in a place where talented, brilliant people are spending a lot of time being less-than-brilliant in order to get by. Weird.

Side note: For every name I googled, I got some PhD's website of the same name. It seems like the internet has turned into a place for intellectuals and artists. Interesting parallel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

DUDE! i had no idea you had a blog (sequesthread was a mystery to me) but the Sheridan thing sealed it!!

how are you, friend???

k