Sunday, February 18, 2007

writer's blocked

It's Sunday. Breathe.

You know, I never really meant to make this blog a place where I obligingly update the internet about my life. I always meant it as an outlet for the thoughts bubbling over the top. I kind of feel like I am running out of things to say.

Scary.

My life is simple nowadays - school, then school, then more school. For the end of the year, we have to choreograph and perform a dance piece to any song that we want as long as it is 2-4 minutes long. To be honest, I don't think I've ever danced a piece longer than 2 minutes, let along choreograph. I'm totally intimidated, but more than anything, I'm afraid that maybe I don't have enough to say in order to do something meaningful. I want the piece to be a story that's real to me, but, hello, dancing isn't exactly my strength.

I want to make art. I want to write songs that speak truth. I want to write plays that inspire. I want to choreograph meaningful stories. But maybe the question is why.

How does God choose his prophets?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"I want to make art. I want to write songs that speak truth. I want to write plays that inspire. I want to choreograph meaningful stories."

You are such an encouragment to me, friend. This is pretty much the manifeto of the Walmer Center Theatre and you are hereby obligated to share, build, gorw your work with us. I'm sorry that I didn't write back to your e-mail yet ... I just had so much to say that I couldn't get it all down without taking several hours.

Two things:

1. I want to come and see you perform so let me know when and where and I'll be there.

2. I can help you workshop dance stuff, if you like. I love movement and I love working with beautiful hearts.

k

Adrienne said...

ya Esther, when is it??? I'll come! I really try okay!
You inspire me Esther! I may be applying for Teachers college. This is the girl who does horrible at math, can't write a proper sentence..... but Esther if you can do this than I can do Teachers college.
You inspire me! I've seen how you dance and I know you can do this! Do not let fear rule! You do this the best way you can! Be who you are, be who God made you to be...we are all creative beings.
Love you sister!
Check the mail soon okay.

sue said...

i like this post a lot.

"I'm totally intimidated, but more than anything, I'm afraid that maybe I don't have enough to say in order to do something meaningful. I want the piece to be a story that's real to me, but, hello, dancing isn't exactly my strength."

i felt like that last year when brian walsh asked me to write a sermon (!!) for wine before breakfast: totally freaked out; how could i have anything to say worth listening to?

in the end, and even in the process, it turned out so much more than alright. i learned to be honest (or as honest as i knew how to be), and to give what i have to give, and that that will be very good, no matter what it is i am giving.

maybe you will find this (or something else, but as meaningful to you), to be true, too.