Wednesday, March 14, 2007

endorphins or self-righteousness

Whenever I feel crappy, people always suggest that I go to the gym.
"The endorphin rush, man! You'll feel so much better!"

Now, I don't need to tell you yet again how much I don't like exercise, but as my New Year's resolution is to go the the gym once a week (I know. Very ambitious.), I have been using any kind of mental trick to get myself there. So after berating and guilting myself, I'm willing to try and believe that going to the gym will make me happy.

And do you know what? I do feel good leaving the gym, but I don't think it has anything to do with endorphins. I think it's just that I feel like I'm better than everyone else. When people see me with my smelly gym bag*, I think "Yup. I'm coming from the GYM. Where are you coming from? Oh wait, sorry. I couldn't hear you. I guess my ears are just too attuned to the whirring of the elliptical machine that I was on for the last half-hour."

You know, it's probably easier to say it was the endorphins, eh?




*
The smelly gym bag is probably the only proof that I went to the gym at all. I mean, I'm not about to pull a Hans-and-Frans-style "Where's the beach?" to show off my barely-defined arms.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you there! I can barely do pushups at home once a week.

E-

Anonymous said...

me love you

that is all

Esther P. ( co-prez of the esther club)

i was on a gym roll in december/jan when i had nothing to do, but now this whole thing they call working is getting in the way....

Unknown said...

It weirded me out to discover this was true... I think I had similar Hans-and-Frans reservations.
HAHAHA damn the eardrum-shattering whirring of the cruel elliptical machines!
I think I'm starting to realize that studying music (and playing the flute/piccolo... especially the piccolo) is starting to ruin my hearing. My friend was driving me in his car and I was playing a CD of Dvorak's new world symphony and the level that I thought was comfortable was making him cringe due to the volume. I'm worried for this reason. That is all.
Oh PS *hug*