Saturday, March 24, 2007

do you really want to live forever?

When I said I'd be going to Sheridan College for musical theatre, people were like, "Oh man! It's just like Fame*!" And when we first came to school, people were hyped and ready to work hard to prove that they could "make it in the business."** But now, people are deciding to leave, and it's eye-opening. "You mean, we can leave this place if we want?"

I remember at the end of first year of Eng Sci, and the big question floating around was, "What are you switching into?" So many people left to go into other disciplines after that first year, and more and more as we went into second year. Funny, eh? Both programs are hard, but in Eng Sci, we assumed most people would leave, and here, we can't imagine leaving.

But, here, I guess school is like the realization of a dream. It's the first step before you go out into the real world. And learning that your dream isn't what you thought it was is really serious. And then musical theatre school becomes a safe place - sure, it's hard, but people tell you what to do, and no one's rejecting you yet.

Anyway, if any of you ex-Music Theatre people read this, I wish you well. I hope you find your dreams and chase them. Dear God, I hope the same for myself.




*A show/movie I have yet to see.
**I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase "If you're going to make it in the business." It's like the Big Phrase that the teacher know will get us.

No comments: