Thursday, April 05, 2007

"shoulda said"

There's this really fun improv game that I watched once where you play a scene and every once in a while the director will interrupt and say "shoulda said" and you have to take back what you just said and say something even better.

Wouldn't it be nice if life was like that? If someone watched your conversations and intervened occasionally to make your conversation 10 million times more entertaining? Or maybe not even more entertaining, but a little bit more tactful, a little bit more helpful.

Right now, I keep on rerunning conversations in my head, and trying to make them better - trying to make a different world where people always understand me, always get my jokes. Or maybe being a little off-the-mark sometimes is part of my charm.

Have you ever done something that is so embarrassing that you can't stop thinking about it? I have those moments often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do I.

Adrienne said...

Oh my goodness I hate it when former embarrassing moments begin to rerun in my head! Or moments I don't think were embarassing at the time become embarassing on a second evaluation. I then want to smash my head against a wall numerous times "yelling Adrienne you idiot!"
I constantly have moch up conversations in my head about what I did say to someone or what I should say to someone. Sometimes I catch myself because I'll say it out loud. If you have the book Blue Like Jazz, their is a chapter on loneliness that talks about this.