Wednesday, April 11, 2007

es·ther ('es-t&r) -adj.

Has your name ever been used as an adjective? It seems to happen to me everyone once in a while and I usually love it, but right now, I'm just confused by it.

I mean, I've tried to pin down what people meant - I even tried using esther (-adj). This is me asking a friend an opinion on a shirt:
"What do you think of this?"
"I like it."
"I do too, but I'm not sure it's 'me'."
"... If you like it, then it's you."
"... Oh."

I can't define this word! What does it mean when something is so "esther" and why does everyone else seem to have an idea? I love that people find something about me that merits it's own word, but it's frustrating when I, myself, don't understand its meaning.

When I think about it, I've often made other people's names into adjectives for them. I wonder if they understand their adjective.

2 comments:

sue said...

that's the weird thing about living your life and other people knowing you a little here and there; they develop opinions about what you're like.

and sometimes they can see you better because they don't get lost in all the details like you do.

at least, this seems to be true of me. maybe it's true of you too.

miss you esther.

love sue

Unknown said...

I think that it must mean different things to different people, but that if someone is using your name as a word to you, then it's probably a) an inside joke/reference or b) a good thing.

To close this appropriately I really need to esther a snappy comment right now.

Danny