Monday, June 16, 2008

이블데드!

So I talked a bit about it in my vlog, but just in case you don't watch those, it was wonderful. I was wondering if they'd keep all the sexy jokes, because, in my point of view, Koreans just don't do that, but they were definitely there (as far as I can gather. It was in Korean, so I just went from what I remembered and their suggestive body language.). The audience was also all young girls, which is almost the opposite of what it is in Toronto. The friend I was with was saying that the connection might very well be because of the sexual jokes. She said that in her experience, it's the girls who like the sexual jokes, rather than in North America where the opposite is more likely to be true.

The dancing was incredible and the singing was amazing. They really played up the campiness to the max. In the Toronto version (which, don't get me wrong, I LOVED), I really didn't like "Housewares Employee," the ballad in the beginning of the show. But in this show, they took campiness to the highest level possible. There wasn't a single weak link.

The moose in this show was actually Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and at the end, they had these incredible encores. Now, I have a thing against planned encores, but the audience wanted it, and it was awesome. There was a beat-boxing, rapping, break-dancing encore, followed by each of the cast members singing a song from the show by another character (which must so cool, being an actor, and showing off this other side!)

It's cool to see Koreans play every role. In Canada, I sometimes feel so limited by what I can play, but it really can't be an issue here. Koreans come in all shapes and sizes, so it was nice for everyone to see past the initial issue of non-whiteness immediately. Not to say Koreans aren't racist.

I saw Macbeth last week, and I can sense a kind of physical theatre tradition. In the showing of Macbeth, it was past realism into true physical symbolism whenever possible, and it was wonderful. (When Macbeth was deciding to kill Duncan, he did it hanging from the ceiling upside down! And Lady M's hand-washing speech was her stomping in a bucket then using Macbeth to walk on the walls.) That kind of understanding of theatre, I believe, is what makes Evil Dead so good, and it probably works so well here.

Seeing Evil Dead has reminded me that I have to get my dance up, but there has been NO TIME! Gah! I found another place to go to, and it's closer to work. Koreans dance a lot, I guess. The dude at the place asked me whether I was learning so I could dance in the background of a music video. HA!

Yay! Regular written blog. Hope this doesn't bore you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly you wont be dancing in the background of a music video. You will be up front and centre! With your K Pop star boyfriend. It will win lots of Korean music video awards and you will need body guards where ever you go.
~Kristy