Monday, December 12, 2005

there no place like home

Family is such a precariously beautiful thing. Somehow, we're stuck into this group of people that define us for a good part of our life and watch the rest of it very intently, often providing commentary and judgment (i.e. advice). They are these people who we're totally comfortable with, yet may not even know a lot of the time. And if you're lucky, you love them and they love you.

I'm lucky. We had our Christmas dinner early this year, to accomodate Dinda's travelling plans. I have a wonderfully big family - seven kids! I'm third from the bottom, so I was able to cash in on the mentorship of my older siblings and the comraderie of my little siblings. Whenever we get together, I feel like it's magic, because when I think about it, we don't really do anything. We just sit around, eat, make lame jokes, eat, watch movies, and eat. We don't talk about anything special, we don't laugh about anything especially clever (we're usually laughing at each other), and the movies don't usually inspire any exceptionally great dialogue. And we don't even get along all the time. We're all moody, volatile people. But my heart always jumps when we're together.

Dr Dinda would probably say that's probably a minor heart attack after all the unhealthy eating we've done.

I just want everyone to know, and by "everyone" I mean the few people I divulged my secret blog to, how much I love my family. We are the coolest bunch of people - we're not all the same (it's like someone cast us for a sitcom or, as we once decided, an animated series), but we all understand why French toast is funny, and we all share the same need for cheesy potatoes.

I have a brother-in-law. It must have been frightening for him to meet all of us.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i read this comment on saturday night while still a bit, shall we say, under the influence, and got inordinately offended and upset by the comment about adopted children. I then proceeded to write a very indignant reply about adopted kids missing out on nothing, because my brother is my brother and I love him and just because we're not blood, doesn't mean we're not connected, and that's the way it is. and then I realized that it was a complete over reaction to a simple query. So I didn't post it. But I would like to say that although my brother has had some troubled times, no doubt in some part to do with the fact that he's adopted, he is a part of us and we are a part of him. we are family. period. and let's not forget the fact that not all blood relatives have a perfect "invisible bond". It's not about blood so much as living and growing together. I really don't know what more to say. and this comment is getting really long and sappy. So I'm ending it. All this for my stupid little brother. : )