Tuesday, August 08, 2006

friend crushes

Am I the only one who gets these? Every once in a while I'll meet someone who I wish was my best friend. This person will be someone I want to hang out with all the time so I can benefit from their presence. Very often this is a guy. In fact, in my case, it's always a guy that I'm not attracted to, and I'm not completely sure why.

Off the top of my head, I can think of five cases of these friend crushes that I've had. I think it might be a problem or some form of my warped reality. It seems like I am not attracted to the people I like the most .

But then again, I wonder if this is a defense mechanism on my part. I used to get these insane-oh crushes in high school and beyond high school I decided that they just had to stop because it was stupid - I'd get too excited and unreasonable and just totally crazy. So now, maybe when I really like someone, I decide that I'm not attracted to him because a friendship is way easier to pursue than something else and I have a better chance of seeing this person on a regular basis.

I'm not really sure that's true. Anyway, it kind of comes together like any of my real crushes, where I start to get to know them, then get scared that I came on too strong, then run away.

Am I unique in this? Am I really the only person who meets people who they really really want to be their best friend? Validate me, internet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. I totally, seriously get friend crushes all the time!

You and Puppy are two examples of friend crushes I've had.

Whoa. :)

sequesthered said...

I had crushes on you and Puppy too!... Uh, I mean FRIEND crushes...Right...That's what I meant...Definitely not the regular type...Ahem...