Saturday, November 11, 2006

there are 3! permutations of singer-dancer-actor

At the beginning of the music theatre program, everyone had to sing a song for everyone and tell everyone how they considered their skills: singer-actor-dancer or dancer-singer-actor or whatever. I went up in my cute, shy way and said "Umm... well, I think I'm least bad at acting." Everyone laughed.

The internal dialogue at that point went something like this:
I don't think I'm a singer. I'm definitely not a dancer. I guess that leaves acting, right?

I asked one of my friends (outside of this program) who is in music theatre what her strength was.

"Well, I really consider myself an actor, but everyone and their cats can 'act', so I usually say I'm a dancer."

And it's true. Dancing is a real tangible skill, whereas acting is so subjective, so when do you say that you're an actor? When can you say that it's a skill you have?

Next time, someone asks me which of the three is my strength I'm going to say "Acting... but only because it's the most subjective." I think that's the funniest way to go.

2 comments:

dannyhuh said...

singer-dancer-actor
singer-actor-dancer
dancer-actor-singer
dancer-singer-actor
actor-singer-dancer
actor-dancer-singer
...i don't what permutations are.
am i valid?

sequesthered said...

That's it, baby bro.
You're so smart. Why don't you do better in school?

;)