Saturday, November 26, 2005

"your blog's depressing"

Today, I shall attempt to write a non-depressing entry, but I don't know whether I'll be able to pull it off. I am generally a pretty uppity person, and I've had a good week, but I'm getting into a brooding pensive mood.

My dear friend Sarah told me yesterday that my blog's depressing, and I totally agree with her. I feel sometimes like I'm trying so hard to look so deep and introspective that I'm missing out on revealing on redemptive truths. Or maybe I'm just trying too hard (and failing too much :D*).

In my life, there have been three major events this week:
1. V and K-lub came in.
2. American Thanksgiving.
3. Harry Potter with Soozi and Sarah.
See what I mean by a good week? Action-packed with wonderful people. I've picked out a theme: Seeing people I haven't seen for a long time.

I've often likened my life to a streetcar (because I like streetcars). People get on and off and you get to ride with people for so long.** I've been so blessed to have had so many people on the "e-car", but I just feel like it sucks hard that so many people have to get off. And then it sucks even more because even though it is relatively easy to still talk to them, I don't.

My seester, Gloria, said something to me once that one of the problems of today's society is that we have so many means of communicating with each other (i.e. cell phone, text messaging, email, etc.) that we really believe we're closer to each other, and that we understand each other more. But it's a lie. We're making ourselves feel "connected" when we're probably just as lonely as any other generation, if not more. We don't really see people, we see Contacts and MSN Buddys, Ignore and Block buttons.

That's why this week was good. Seeing people rather than physics problem sets is awesome. I missed these people so much. Things can't ever be the same, but that's supposed to be a good thing. I'll always miss sitting in the common room in first year talking, chilling in my PJs with my rez family. I'll always miss sitting in the HOW at high school talking about nothing and dressing up in weird costumes. Will I miss this time, right now? I guess we'll see in time. "No day but today," as the cast of Rent would say.

The dream of the day is to be a professional figure skater. I just have to learn how to skate and age backwards.







*:D indicates that the preceding comment should be taken light-heartedly.
** Note: I've also often said that life can be really likened to anything, you just have to be creative. Try the following exercise:
1. Fill in the blank.
Life is like _____________________.
2. Then you explain why life is like it, and it usually, but certainly not always, has to do with life's variability. So you often you can fill in the following blanks.
Sometimes it's _____________ and sometimes it's ________________.
I'll call it MadLib philosophy.
Actually it's interesting. When I was in grade nine, I was convinced that most of life was set up to be a great metaphor for bigger things (i.e. "life"). It was nice to believe that meaningless things weren't meaningless. I should revert back. This footnote is long.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Esther I totally agree with you about how you can use anything to compare life too. I have a post about Sea Glass on my site that is one of those comparison's.
adearcher.blogspot.com