Thursday, November 27, 2008

an academic discussion on the surface.

One of my sister's professors at Mac studied marking essays, etc., to see what the "best way" to mark is. How should you mark so the students learn as much as possible? Apparently, the prof's conclusion was the best way to mark was "really high," meaning my sister got 110% on an essay that she felt luke-warm about.

So, right now in I'm in school for performance - something that is very subjective, unlike engineering, where the right answer is very clear. I wonder what the best way to mark would be. In engineering, I know it would be impractical to give easy tests so everyone gets a good mark, or to give marks where wrong answers are, but in performance, sometimes I feel like it would be nice to get consistent As. If it's so subjective, then why not tell me I'm awesome all the time, so I feel encouraged and work harder.

Of course, I understand the value of getting lower marks - I have to know where I can improve, and as much as everyone says that I have to measure my own journey, I have to know how I compare. Maybe you've guessed by this point that this academic discussion is just the movement on the surface. It's just tough to try to not consider yourself a B-level performer, when despite your best efforts, that is your mark.

No, no, NO. I cannot define myself that way. John always referred to himself as "the one whom Jesus loved." I must strive to do the same.

No comments: